Followers

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mam and Dad's Wedding Day

Outside St Agnes' Church
March 24th 1971
Poor Phyllis and Mick! This must count as being one of the most disastrous weddings of the century. I remember because I was there and I took a lot of the photos including this one. Mick was as sick as a dog. Things went wrong all over the place. I think I was either best man or I gave a speech at the reception which turned out to be a rambling story. Our oratory skills had not been developed yet.
When Phyllis came walking down the aisle in the church Mick was sitting either beside me or very near. I noticed he was very much out of it because as she approached he didn’t move to get out of his seat to be at her side. I looked up and saw the panic on Phyllis’s face. On top of all that it was very confusing because I think there was a mass going on at the same time and the wedding was somehow incorporated into the mass.

The hotel had put bottles of high end drink on the tables that had been opened and I am sure did not contain what was on the label. I remember pointing that out to them. This made owners very nervous. They had also put the wedding party in two different rooms.
These are the few random things that I remember. I think that Phyllis was the first one to get married so nobody really had any experience with weddings.
These are just a few random thoughts and I am sure there are many more.
I think Mick conked out at the end of the day from exhaustion.
It was obviously worth it all but it was a crazy day.
It was one of those events the we all look back on and laugh at all the incidents years later.
Any more memories of that day? J.

14 comments:

Colin M. Walsh said...

I did not think that there were any photos of your wedding. YOu can tell Mikerick is sick.

How old was dad in that photo....

Unknown said...

He looks like he's at a firing squad..........

phyllis said...

this is all i have, i told you what happened to the other ones, there is one of the whole family and its the only one we had, but i don't have it!

phyllis said...

Dad was forty four/five and mam was forty five/six....so young!

Colin M. Walsh said...

That is the age I am now.....

phyllis said...

and there was your father, at your age, already a grand father, and giving away his eldest daughter, come to think of it, he looks extra happy in this photo........

Anne said...

This was also martins's 21st birthday. There was a party that night in his house

Unknown said...

Anne, I didn't know it was martins 21st that day.

Anne said...

You were at the party in his house

Unknown said...

Don't remember it at all.

Anne said...

You don't remember dancin on the tables..and being carted home?...ha ha, only messin'

phyllis said...

i hope your all aware that it was ME who was suppose to be dancing on the tables and getting drunk!!!!.

Anne said...

you were looking after your sick husband

phyllis said...

ahh yes, i had forgotten!!!!!