Followers

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dessies Birthday On The 27th


For all the younger generation: Dessie is Mams brother and our uncle. He was a great wit and the stories about him are endless. He had a beautiful voice and sang in productions around Dublin. He was a light tenor and sang the parts of light opera very well. He used his voice sparingly and was not one to show off or just sing for the heck of it or just to join in with the crowd. Therefore, to hear him sing was a treat because he didn't waste his talents and used them appropriately. He had a dry sense of humor and could be counted on to supply the right few words on any occassion. He never married. He was an all round good fellow to be around and always made you laugh.

11 comments:

Therese said...

Never knew it was Dessies birthday, he was indeed a very witty person and marvellous voice, he could certainly make those glasses rattle and the window vibrate when he sang. It was Cecil's birthday yesterday 25th he would have been 96

Unknown said...

I wish I had known and had some photos. We could have done something. I always liked Cecil.

Therese said...

Thanks Jim perhaps we can send some pictures when we have recovered from our travels.

Therese said...

Just noticed the change of hat Jim, I like that one, is the beard permanent? suits you very well, distinguished

Unknown said...

Hat is new Therese. Beard is a passing fancy but who knows.

Heather said...

I never knew it was his birthday that day. I must say that many family members share the same birthdays.
Therese, I remember when I made that banner for Ganga for his 75th Birthday.

gillian said...

I remember very little about Dessie,the little i do remember,he was sitting in his chair feet up because his toe was very bad, I think mammy, nanny and I went to see him just befor he had his toe off, 'mam help me out here' R.I.P Dessie

gillian said...

BTW.... Jim your looking good, Love the new look.

twjewel said...

I met Dessie in 1982. July to be exact. I remember him and Chrissy too. We had a meal ( or some tea) in their lovely house. I remember it like it was yesterday.
BUT, I forgot that he and terry shared a birthday. Happy Birthday Dessie.
love, t and t

eileen said...

It's great to see the photos of Dessie, I'm very touched
to see the picture of my only brother, thanks Jim for putting these up on the blog.
R.I.P. Des.
Also happy birthday Cecil who was like a big brother to me when i was very young.

Eileen said...

Yes...a happy birthday (RIP) to Uncle Dessie. He used to sing in the choir on a Sunday morning in St Agnes church and I enjoyed listening very much! Also Happy Birthday (RIP) to Uncle Cecil.