Followers

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Frank Sinatra - These Foolish Things


This is true Sinatra and one of my favorites. This is also a repost of better quality.
It is easy to be dismissive of him given the fact that he was really a singer of popular american standards, this is what he was but he set the standard by which every other singer is judged. He makes everything look so easy . The only other singer I can think of who comes close is Ella Fitzgerald who sounds like she ate breakfast with a tuning fork so perfect is she.
Sinatra truly makes this song his own by giving true feeling and nuance to every phrase. Even his gestures add to the poetry. Listen to what he does with ' you conquered me' and how he ends on what I think is a minor note. It all adds up to artistry. The man was a musical genius.
I could go on and on but I'll shut up now.

1 comment:

brendan said...

this i think was in the late 70's and to me was frank at his prime he had mellowed, matured and become more moody in his voice i know there is a lot of people will disagree with me but my Favorite and i think his (real self) was portrayed (or maybe betrayed) by his masterpiece Cycles album, he will be ...like Mozart be listened to and enjoyed for centuries to come