Followers

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ireland Trip In 1974






These are a few snaps of a hitch hiking trip that Paul and I took around Ireland in 1974. Unfortunately we didn't come back from this trip the way we left.
I don't think I have posted these photos before.
This was the trip that nearly cost us our lives. We had hitch hiked from Dublin through Cork and lots of other places including kissing the Blarney Stone. We got stuck at the Rock of Cashel and couldn't get a ride for hours. Finally a small Fiat came along with a young driver. We got in, thankful to get out of the cold, and drove off.
I had a sudden premonition that something was going to happen and, as Paul was in the front seat, I told him to fasten his seat belt which he did. A few minutes later we smacked into a Morris Minor that had been parked with no reflectors or lights on a country road. The driver of the little fiat had been drinking and driving very fast. This was long before breathalysers or drunk driving laws.
Next thing I knew I was waking up in a pile of broken glass and with Nun's feet walking around me in a glare of headlights. I had hit my head on the seat and was cut deeply above the upper lip and they eye. I also had some leg damage. Paul was very lucky to have fastened the seatbelt. he hurt his leg but was otherwise unharmed.
They took us to the hospital where they stitched me up and we were driven up to Dublin in an ambulance the next day with a few nurses.
We arrived home to the house the day after I think.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Who are the wans?

Anne said...

yeah, who are those wans surrounding our Paul? Two handsome blokes I must say....This was when you were involved in an accident was'nt it?