Followers

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Greystones beach 1930


Granda Walsh without the cigarette.




Granda and Granny Walsh in Greystones: Anyone know who else is here?

This is a great photo to have in our possession. It is wonderful to see our grandparents when they were younger on both sides of the family. We only knew them as older people and we were missing certain dimensions of their lives. We forget that they were once vibrant beings who had to deal with very difficult circumstances and that our own parent were not the only ones who contributed to our being here. I hope we get more of these photos so we can all get a good perspective on the family as a whole.
I have never seen this photo before and I have never seen Granny or Granda Walsh at this age. Granda Walsh was always someone who sat in a chair in the corner or had nails in his mouth while he was repairing shoes for the locals.

8 comments:

phyllis said...

This photo i got from Susie Heavey,
My dad's niece, it was great to see this cause i had never seen my grand parents when they looked so young,
unfortunately aunt Molly"s (Granny Walshs sister) face is missing from the photo, the little child i think is aunt Lily (Dads sister),i don't know who the other two girls are,
there is a photo taken the same day as this with my dad and his brother Peter who died at the age of seven.

Eileen said...

This is very interesting...I can see a slight resemblence to Dad here in Grandad....i think Dad was a bit more pleasant looking but never saw resemblence before as Phylis says never seen them when they looked so young...(obviously in my case!!!)

Colin M. Walsh said...

This is a great photo. I was wondering who's face was missing and who the children in the photo. Also I was wondering if this was the day that the Photo of Dad and his brother was taken. Thanks phyllis, as usual for all of this info.

Does anyone have the photo of Dad and his brother to post.

phyllis said...

Thanks Colin, Yes i think this was the same day the photo was taken of dad and his brother Peter, that photo was knocking around but i don't know who has it.
I was delighted to see this photo of grandad and granny Walsh as its the first of it's kind I've ever seen.
Grandad was a very handsome man and granny Walsh was much the same as she got older, she had lovely hair it was very long, she kept it in a bun and would brush it at night and put it in a plait.

phyllis said...

Great job on the photo Brian.

Unknown said...

Great job on the photo------- WHO????

phyllis said...

Sorry Jim did you fix it up? I thought Brian did cause i gave it to him, that reminds me i have to get it back from him so i can return it to Sue.
great job on the photo Jim!

Brian said...

Thanks Phyllis. Its the quality of the scan that made the difference. I gave our Jem a few tips.