Followers

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Granda Waddell


The Man Himself.

Photos: Brianie.
This is an angel given Rita by Granda Waddell for her confirmation and she still treasures it.

Grandas Stick. Photos from Rita.


This is the 128th anniversary of his birthday. The world seemed to be a better place when he was around because we were just children and he was there.
I agree with you Phil (see comment). For those of us lucky enough to be there when granda was around it is a pleasure to see these old photos and to relive those days of ' the hammer man ' and all of those Dessie jokes and ironing of five pound notes. We always looked forward to going to see him.
One day he was explaining to me the difference between the 'heart' and the ' hearth' and every time he mentioned each word he would point to his heart or the hearth. He said that, although they sounded the same, they were really not the same thing. This was on one of those cold Dublin days when we would sit in front of the fire. He was sitting in his armchair beside the gramophone and I was sitting cross legged in front of the beautiful turf fire. I remember it as if it was yesterday. To a child it was a magical moment and the fact that I remember it so well after all this time shows the impression he made on me.
That is how I learned what the 'hearth' is. It is not the same as the heart although it sounds the same.
For those children who were not fortunate enough to know Granda Waddell and Peadair Walsh and all the aunts and uncles it is good to remember that one day their grandchildren will be asking questions about their parents, aunts and uncles.
In honour of his anniversary it would be nice to hear any anecdotes or stories about him from the fambly.

16 comments:

phyllis said...

That's fab Jim, lovely to see this.
This blog is great the way it keeps those who have long past still here and in our hearts.

phyllis said...

Yes he had a nickname for me, i was "in and out" Brian was the "hammer man" Brian also had a few nicknames that we gave him!!.
My memory of Grandad is banging the ceiling with his stick to tell whoever was in bed to "get up" his stew, his stewed tea, always careful with the milk butter and sugar,cause that was all there was,the way he walked throwing his feet, one going east and the other going west,his baby power, (whiskey),seeing him coming down the road every Thursday to visit my Mother. pokeing everything with his walking cane, most of all his cardigans with 2 pockets where he kept his little purse and holes at the elbows.

Unknown said...

I remember the baby powers. If there was any question of a present for Granda be it Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary the answer was always a baby power.
I also remember the banging on the ceiling and the cardigans.

Therese said...

Great to see this Jim, I had already thought of him, born on the feast of our Lady of Mt Carmel. When I was about 4 or 5 we went all the way to Rush for our holidays he came to stay for a few days with us, I remember my mother saying he mightn't be alive next year hes 75. He certainly was alive and for another 15 years. Even though he lived through hard times I hope he was happy

Anne said...

This is a great collage, and I'm delighted you did it Jim, especially for Mam, who remembers him in all the pictures shown, Im sure it brings back a lot of memories for her. I just remember him being there in the corner on his chair, and the strap on the door beside him, which was always a threat, but never used, and of course, him walking up the road to visit, swinging his walking stick, and his light voice, he never had a deep voice really, just this light voice, amazing, the things you remember......

Eileen said...

Happy birthday to Grandad who shares the same birthday as Abbie....and hopefully the same spirit!!!

Eileen said...

I have just re read all the little stories and I am one of the grandchildren who hasn't got any of those to tell...and hearing of them I wish I had. I only remember him vaguely...it's like I'm not looking at him but at his stick as he says ah ah....(not to touch something!) and thats all.....pity.

Anonymous said...

I have that battered stick

Anonymous said...

Evelyn and I were just talking about that holiday in Rush where granna had a great time. he went fishing with my dad on the back of his motorbike. We have a photo of him on the bike somewhere. its in my head but do not know where to find it.
My dad was 21 years departed on July 14. RIP

Anonymous said...

another memory is of granna's 'stew' he is the only person I knew who could make stew without any meat!! (so scarce it seemed like none) however he always had a little container of saxa curry powder to sprinkle over to give the stew some taste. We loved Granna's stew tho God help him he had to make do with very little, he always shared what he had

Unknown said...

What a great thing to have Granda Waddell's stick. We should have done something for Cecil. I really liked him, he had time for everyone. I don't have any photos of him except the ones I took at the wedding.

Unknown said...

The turf fire that I mention on my comments was more than a romantic 'Joycean' notion of a childhood in Dublin. It was also a very real thing. I used to go and get the turf for him with the boxcar in the cold and bitter rain.

Dor said...

My fondest memory of him is of when I must have been younger than 4 because I haden't started school yet. It's of sitting around the fire in Kildare Rd; In my memory part of the fireplace could be opened down to form a type of table. We were drinking tea and eating my mother's wonderful scones and I just loved him very much!

Anonymous said...

Pat Waddell/Murphy would have contributed to that fire too as she and Fran mitched from school to riddle other peoples ashes at the dump on Sundrive Rd. Some of these rescued cinders they sold and had a thriving little business. Some of the cinders ( and remember they would have been waste from other Dublin fires)were brought home in the boxcar to 'keep the homefires burning' Your labour kept them all from freezing Pat. well done. ( not so sure the school attendance officer would have agreed)

Heather said...

I love reading all those comments about Great Granda Waddell.
Beautiful angel too!

Brian said...

Very nice job Jim.