Followers

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Where Were You On November 22nd 1963?


I was working in the Gresham Hotel in Dublin. I had been working late. It was a cold bitter night and I rode home in the fog on my bike and heard the news. I was sixteen. I pretended not to care but I did care.
Thirty years later I happened to be in Dallas for an interview with the Four Seasons Hotels. After the interview I headed out to the airport to return to Houston where I was working for Meridien Hotels. I hadn’t been in the United States very long so I was still fascinated by a lot of things.
I had a couple of hours to spare and seeing as the Four Seasons was paying for the trip I asked the taxi driver to take me to the assassination spot.
I felt a little embarrassed by doing so. It seemed so touristy and morbid.
The taxi driver said “Sure" in his Texas accent and we headed out. When we got to the spot underneath the depository he tapped his brakes with his foot and said “This is where he was shot ".
It was obvious that this was not the first time he had taken this particular trip and I was definitely not the first one to ask him to take it.
Where were you on that day?

9 comments:

Brian said...

I was 9 years old when Kennedy was killed. Charles Mitchell was almost crying when he read out the news on RTE. I was sitting in a chair in front of the fire and I remember Da listening in disbelief. The Ma went to see him in O'Connell street either that year or the year before when he made a visit to Ireland. The entire country was stunned on hearing this news.

Anne said...

Yes, i think everyone can remember where they were that day, I remember all those things Brian, the news at 6 o'clock with Charles Mitchel, I was going to girl guides in Harrington St, I was 12, and the captain was crying all evening...JFK had visited Ireland that summer, and Mam was in town with one of the kids and saw him. she thought he was only gorgeous, which he was, of course..

Unknown said...

I remember that visit and Mam tells the story to this day about seeing him. I almost saw him myself when he visited Ireland. I was on my way home from work (again!) and I was going by Lord Edward St. I think that is where Dublin Castle is. The crowds were lined up on both sides of the street and he was to arrive in 15 mins. or so. Anyway with the crowds and the bike etc. it was impossible to maneuver so I had to leave. I was working in Clerys at the time.

phyllis said...

I was Fourteen and working in Ready's fish shop in crumlin village, it was a Friday night i had bought myself a fish and chip "a treat" i remember Charles Michell reading the news,it was so sad i could not even enjoy my few chips.

Colin M. Walsh said...

I was one year and twelve days old... I think I spent the day running back and forward to the shops. Can of Fanta, a vesta curry, a large single and a long ray spring to mind. I think I forgot the large bar of "fruit and nut" and had to go back and get it.

twjewel said...

I was just turning six. I saw Jack Ruby shoot and kill Lee Harvey Oswald on T.V.
I didn't understand how Johnson was the new president. I didn't know about vice presidents back then.

Eileen said...

Hard to imagine but I was unheard of at that time.....I was actually not on this earth.....I remember vaguely God huffing and tutting in his workshop for quite some time and strangely enough on Jan 22nd 1965 I heard him say.'by jove I've got it!'and also 'now here is someone of equal measure and brilliance to replace that wonderful human being' and off I went down the escaltor!!! Nice story eh!!!!

Eileen said...

One doesn't mean to be facetious or flippant about the great JFK by the way!!! (even if one is of equal measure!!)

Brian said...

That's a classy story Eileen, I like it, especially the 'by Jove' bit.