Followers

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Al Martino



Al Martino died today. He was 82 and lived in Philadelphia. He played Johnny Fontane in the Godfather. I met him in Pittsburgh where he was appearing at the Heinz Hall with Marvin Hamlish. He was very glad to see he had a fan all the way from Ireland and we had a long chat in the lobby. He was very personable. I asked him if he ever saw Frank Sinatra which was a mistake but he laughed it off saying " not if I can help it ". I had forgotten Frank Sinatra had been very upset with him for playing the part of the washed up singer in the film which was partly based on him. He sent me tickets to his show and the show was fantastic. He had great stamina against the Pittsburgh Symphony.
He sent me this signed photo and some signed CD's in appreciation of his time spent in the hotel and how well he was taken care of.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

The Lasting Tribute website has updated its memorial pages to include Al Martino.

http://www.lastingtribute.co.uk/tribute/martino/3167052

It's a respectful memorial to Martino and somewhere to pay tribute to his family's fortitude at this difficult time.

EVERY comment is monitored so that nothing offensive or inappropriate is published.

Unknown said...

Thank you Patrick .

Colin M. Walsh said...

I just read that he lived in the next neighbourhood over from me...

Small world.

Unknown said...

I remember him in the godfather,
Great singer.