Followers

Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Visit To Terry And Terry And To Colin



This is a charming little video of a trip to Terry and Terry's place back in 1989. I was barely able to make it out there because of work and almost didn't go. However, as is usual with these things , as soon as you get to your destination you realize that it was all worthwhile after all. This trip was no exception. Mam and Dad were in fine form. Dad just loved dressing up in the fisherman's gear and holding the salmon up over the sink as if had just caught it.
I had brought the salmon and some oysters from Seattle and of course they were devoured. I think that this was the trip where we did the log of lamb that Dad called 'ony gorgeous'. This was picked up by Terry girl and is now part of the Walsh lexicon. It has always been a well-used expression in the family but somehow Terry's american accent gave it new life and meaning.
Mother bear held court as The Queen Bee of the family of course. She was the center of the whole thing in her own quiet way. I did notice one thing though; in one of the clips Colin is asking her who her favorite son was etc etc. Sleeveen that he is he asks her these questions when none of us are around so she has no choice but to answer in the affirmative. This time though Mam was not wearing her glasses and see couldn't see very well. She told me later that she thought she was talking to me. Case of mistaken identity I suppose.
I think Terry girl will really enjoy this if she hasn't seen it already. I don't know if anyone has seen this before but I may be mistaken.
I just love the look on Colin's face when he is told he was getting his head in the picture by Terry. If that was today of course the tune would be different and would go something like:


Jimmy and Terry get up from the fire, get up and give the man a chair
Don't you see it's your brother Colin and he's sittin' in a draft.
You know very well he has a few bob and he's buyin' us all iphones
Get up ouda that yez impudent brats and let the golden boy sit down


How things have changed over the course of a few years.
But, on the serious side, it was great having us all together with Mam and Dad.


The clip with Dad and the fish was done in Colin's house.

4 comments:

brendan said...

this is wonderful....just wonderful....digital memory's with everyone looking so young beautiful and handsome

Anne said...

Only gorgeous....I think this was when that photo that is in the house was taken, you all look about the same age...and I think that was probably one of my arans on Jamie...

Fantastic...

Colin M. Walsh said...

I remember this very well. Kieran was just born, only weeks old. Mam and Dad came over to help us as neither Joanne or I had any idea what to do with the baby. They were great, I will always remember that when Kieran would cry, Dad would pick him up, and hold him that certain way that he held babies, and the crying would stop.

HE would carry Kieran around like a football, both as happy as can be.

This was Dads first trip across the pond, and he was very nervous, and at first feeling very much out of his element. Mam and Dad were made very welcome by our friends, particularly Mark and Mike. After a week or so, he quietly said to me, "where are their girlfriends" . I laughed and told him that they were gay, but said, don't tell anyone because we are not supposed to know. I was afraid that it would put him off, but not at all. He had a great time with them and everyone else, and remarked at how great it was that so many varied people should be such good friends, A doctor, a lobbyist, an organ builder, a travel agent, a banker and on and on, something unheard of in Ireland.

I remember thinking of him as old, and watching after him. The fact was that he was in his early 60's younger than some of my siblings are now.

Mam had been here many times, and was hip to the going's on, knowing everyone already, so it was all old hat to her. I was funny to watch them both.

Over the following years, Mam and Dad came over quite often, and became quite comfortable here, and we were very comfortable with them here.

twjewel said...

This was so nice. Thank you Jim for posting it. Ever since I got back on FB, I have been neglecting the blog. I won't let that happen again.