Followers

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Incident At The Dump



















This is the dump te de dump te de dump dump dump dump


I went on my weekly trip to the dump last week. Those of us living on the edge take the garbage to the dump ourselves. It costs nothing.


At the dump there is a recycle center where you separate the green bottles and the white bottles and the plastic etc. While separating these bottles it gives you the opportunity to say to yourself “did I drink all that?”

The dump is often staffed with local inmates from the low security prison. They wear the uniforms that you see in ‘Cool Hand Luke’ for those familiar with that film. They are those off- white dungaree things with the stripes on them. It is a sight to see. One of these fellows came over to me and asked if I needed any help. He was a big burly unshaven prime example of the inmate but he was very polite. I asked him if he would empty the tin cans for me. He took my plastic container with the tin cans.

Among the tin cans was a big gallon can with the words ‘extra virgin olive oil ‘in bold letters. He did what I asked him to do and brought the plastic container back to me. I thanked him, he winked, leaned over to me and whispered “Tell me Sir, did you have to speak extra sweet to the virgin olive oil? “

No comments: